I have missed a bunch of Paul Strikwerda’s blogs recently, but this one caught my eye in an email update on one of my LinkedIn groups.
He postulates that you have to be many things to be a freelancer. Some things are diametric opposites and yet it is often best to do them both. He uses the Ying and the Yang concept.
His first question – should you Specialize or Generalize – big debate about this actually – but his advice – “find your own voice and be flexible” – works for me. Too narrow a focus and you limit yourself and end up doing the same thing over and over. Too broad and you risk being just another nameless faceless cog.
He ended the article with a nice long list of other “contradictions.” My favorites…
- Be personable and keep things strictly business.
- Be proud of your accomplishments and stay humble.
- Be confident, but doubt yourself enough to evaluate your performance.
- Sell yourself, but don’t make it look like you’re selling yourself.
- Be able to multi task and stay completely focused.
- Be in the moment and plan for the future.
- Admire without feeling threatened.